Matt 9:1-2, Matt 9:20-22, Mark 8:22-25, Mark 16:17-18,
Acts 3:16, Acts 8:3-6, James 5:14 glenavonchurch.googlepages.com/library
Sunday was a beautiful day - sunny with a temp of only -10c, as Pastor Lorne spoke on more of the miracles that Jesus performed. It was kind of ironic because to me, his voice seemed even more hoarse than the week before but I forgot to ask if he actually had the sore throat bug that seems to be making it's rounds.
Pastor Lorne started the message by bringing our attention to Matt 4:23-24. It says that Jesus went about “...healing every disease and sickness among the people.” He made no distinctions between paralysis, blindness or blood afflictions.
Do you know that 80% of prayer requests are for the healing of our bodies? And yes, miracles still happen today. Pastor Lorne believes that God has blessed modern medical doctors with the ability to heal. Don’t belittle anyone who claims of a miraculous recovery because they’ve been treated by a medical doctor. ie - those cured of cancer after surgery. But that’s not to say that God can’t reach down and heal you, either.
Pastor Lorne said to let your heart rise up in faith as you think of these healings:
– Leprosy – Back in Jesus’ time before there was a cure for leprosy, lepers were forced into colonies where they were shunned and considered outcasts from society. But leprosy can be cured. All it takes is an antibiotic over a period of time. Pastor Lorne reminded us of the leprosy commercials on TV where a small amount of money can buy antibitocs for lepers in 3rd world countries. He told us of a leper colony that even existed in Hawaii but has now ceased to exist, praise God! But in Matt 8:2-3, all Jesus did was touch the leper and say, “Be clean!” and in the blink of an eye, the man was cured.
- The Faith of the Centurion (Matt 8:6-13) – in this example, a centurion was so concerned for his servant that he went himself to see Jesus. What makes this passage special is that when Jesus said He would go and heal the servant, the centurion said, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.” Wow! What faith! Pastor Lorne said that we can put our trust and faith in Jesus just like that centurion did and expect to be healed.
- He Healed all the Sick – Matt 8:16 says that not only did Jesus drive out their demons, but He healed all of the sick. Nothing was too difficult for him to cure and no one was left out. And when Jesus heals and delivers people from their sickness, lives change.
- Paralysis – Pastor Lorne said that Jesus heals when the people around a sick person pray for the healing and not just the invalid themselves. He used Matt 9:1-2 as an example of this. He then went on to ask if we could imagine that paralytic when he went home and walked into his own house. What do you think he and his family talked about?
- Blood Affliction – Matt 9:20-22 – The story of the lady who’s faith was so strong that she knew all she had to do was touch Jesus’ garment and she would be healed. The reward for her faith was a complete healing.
- Blindness – In Mark 8:22-25, Jesus spit on the man’s eyes and then asked if he saw anything. The man said “I see people; they look like trees walking around." So Jesus put His hands on the man’s eyes and restored full vision.
Pastor Lorne said sometimes after being prayed over, we feel a bit better but not 100%. Do we consider asking to be prayed over again? Or do we sit back and wait? Do we question God as to why we haven’t received complete healing after the first time? Sometimes it takes awhile. It will happen in God’s time.
Pastor Lorne said he doesn’t know what we believe about healing. Whether we believe it was only ‘back then’? He says no! He also asked us to look at James 5:14 which basically says that if you’re sick, you’re to be obedient to God and ask for healing.
He asked if we’ve noticed that even people who don’t have a personal relationship with Christ will pray for and receive complete healing.
Pastor Lorne admitted that 30 yrs ago, he was in an accident (he didn’t go into details) and the doctors gave him 10 mins to live but he received complete healing. (Praise God for that!)
He brought our attention to Mark 16:17-18 which says, “And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." This passage in Mark tells us that Jesus gave others the ability to heal as long as it was done in His name. See Acts 3:6-8 & 16 for the first example of Peter being able to heal in Jesus’ name. Pastor Lorne said the reference to snakes was because of the Acts 8:3-6 scripture where Paul was bitten by a snake and just shook it off without any ill effects.
The miracles that Jesus performed touched lives and brought hope. They gave people a reason for living. Jesus made no distinctions between the people or their sickness. He healed them all.
Pastor Lorne said Jesus wants to heal you. Just approach Him in faith and wait on His time.
If you would like to speak to Pastor Lorne about this or any other matter, or if you would like to be prayed over, please check out his info at the bottom of the right column.
Comments are always welcome.